Intersections - a New America Arts Festival
February 19 - Mar 7 2010 Atlas Peforming Arts Center - 1333 H Street NE - Washington, DC
The Atlas Performing Arts Center announces its fifth annual festival that unites collaborative artists from DC and beyond with richly diverse audiences to expand what we share through the arts. By presenting imaginative intersections of theatre, dance, music, film & video, opera, visual art, and spoken word that offer new perspectives on contemporary culture, we break boundaries, deepen dialogue, and create connection in our intimate performance spaces, festive lobby, and café.
What are we looking for? Productions or projects that:
• Probe powerful points of connection across boundaries of race, class, age, culture, and community, while giving new and distinctive voice to the kaleidoscope of perspectives that comprise our contemporary culture and community.
• Stretch the boundaries of art forms through innovative collaborations across artistic genres, disciplines, ages, perspectives, and experiences.
• Engage directly with audiences through creative pre-, during, and post performance activities to spark conversation, deeper connection, and community transformation.
Performances of works previously produced are eligible. *Visit intersectionsdc.org to see INTERSECTIONS 2013 artist roster and 2014 programming committee.
The festival staff and programming committee will select the festival offerings based on:
• The artistic excellence of the company / artist’s past work.
• The artistic merit and/or potential of the proposed project.
• The relevance of the project to the festival’s focus on probing boundary-crossing points of connection in contemporary culture.
• The innovative and/or collaborative nature of the project.
• The strength of the company / artist’s vision for and capacity execute audience development, engagement, and community connection.
How does this work?
• The Atlas covers the cost of your performance space rental, standard venue inventory, one 4-hour tech rehearsal, a theatre manager, crew, house management, box office and Atlas marketing.
• Artists/companies cover all “in the door” expenses (all performer’s fees & production costs).
• You commit to partner with the Atlas and the festival community of artists to market directly to your audiences and to broaden your audience base.
• You will receive the proceeds of the box office, less a percentage for the Atlas, based on your level of audience engagement activities.
• Modest stipends are available for certain performances that are free.
Contact Festival Artistic Director, Mary Hall Surface at email@example.com.
Click here to APPLY.
Proposals and all accompanying materials are due June 24th, 2013, 5pm.